Each handicap is like a hurdle in a steeplechase, and when you ride up to it, if you throw your heart over, the horse will go along, too. ~~Lawrence Bixby

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Let Me Count the Ways

I love my scooter.  For so many reasons.
  1. I can go places I haven't been able to go for a very long time.
  2. I don't have to drive the car to do my neighborhood errands.
  3. Liza can walk with me at a speed she loves.
  4. I don't have to concentrate on the ground under my feet for every step - I can actually look up at the world around me. Trees. Flowers. Cats. Beautiful houses. People. Art. 
  5. People on Hawthorne who ask for money or signatures generally ignore me.
  6. I'm eye level with children and often get a smile or at least an interested stare.
  7. In general, people seem rather delighted by the scooter and are willing to help with doors or to reach something on a shelf in the store -- much more so than when I'm using a cane or walker. (I'm mulling the psychology of this - any ideas?)
  8. I get to go meandering in Laurelhurst Park with my pals. I wouldn't have been able to get to this bench under the mighty oak without my scooter. 


If you or anyone you know have been debating whether or not to take the plunge and get a scooter, I will tell you what I said the first time I used it: "Why did I wait so long??"

2 comments:

Pam said...

Terri,
I can hear Liz's words echoing in my ears... wait until she realizes the world that will open up for her. She will regain her independence and there will be no stopping her. I'm so happy that this scooter has brought you joy. Keep on rolling!

Nancy said...

9. Nancy is thrilled that I'm confident, safe, more comfortable, and able to sit on the bench under the mighty oak, eye level with those other beautiful children again :)