Each handicap is like a hurdle in a steeplechase, and when you ride up to it, if you throw your heart over, the horse will go along, too. ~~Lawrence Bixby

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Finding Balance

We are preparing for The Chair to arrive on Monday. After months of talking, planning, consulting, waiting, and waiting, it has been approved by Medicare, customized by Nu Motion, and will be delivered in two days.

We’re still dealing with some logistics – the front door threshold needs a small ramp, as does the cottage door. We’d been planning on having our handy man Tom build something for us, but he’s not available this week. Then I found some ready-made ramps in a catalog; I called around town and located just what we need, and I can get them by Monday. We also had to find out if the chair was compatible with the power lift in the car and arrange to have a piece attached to the new chair so the lift can, well, lift it.

And then there’s the emotional component. I am nervous. I’m feeling a little defeated. I’m sad that it’s come to this. AND I’m grateful I have this option available to me and that Medicare is picking up the tab for most of it. I’m sure I’ll be dealing with a lot of emotions over the next few months. But as my yoga therapist reminded me, it will allow me to conserve my energy for the things I love to do and the people I love to be with.

I’ve had a sore knee all week, the result of arthritis and possibly a strained ligament. I thought at first it was a torn meniscus, but since it’s improved somewhat, I doubt that it is. For a couple of days, though, walking was darn near impossible and I wished I’d had the chair right then.

One issue that is of concern having this chair is making sure I still get enough exercise to maintain muscle mass in my legs. I’ll still be walking some; I’ll still have my weekly sessions with my awesome body coach, Shawn, and with my yoga therapist, Leigh; I have an order for some PT sessions for my knee. The key, as in most things, is to find the right balance. A lot of leg movement causes the burning nerve pain that is so unpleasant; too little movement makes for weakened muscles and strain on my joints. It’s an ongoing challenge.

I remember when my dad was getting so crippled up and had a difficult time walking very far. His doctor refused to sign off on a scooter because he thought Dad wouldn’t get enough exercise if he relied on a scooter. I was furious. From my perspective, having a scooter opened up my world so much; without it, I would be housebound. It’s possible to find that balance.

Leigh suggested I do a ritual or ceremony before the scooter comes. I used to do a lot of that sort of thing around transitions; I was very much into the power of woo-woo. So I will be giving that some thought today and tomorrow. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

DeEtte Beghtol Waleed said...

I hear your mixed emotions about this transition, Terri. I send you light. May you find the right energy to move through this one.

Lexi said...

I sounds like you are approaching this change thoughtfully. I'm holding you in the light. Also, and I apologize if it's already been suggested, has it been suggested to use leg weights exercises to help keep your strength in your legs?