Each handicap is like a hurdle in a steeplechase, and when you ride up to it, if you throw your heart over, the horse will go along, too. ~~Lawrence Bixby

Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Hindsight is 2021

 (Title stolen from Preet Bharara)

Here we are, at the end of another effed up year. Just when we thought it was going to be safe, Omicron reared its ugly head. And the cray-cray Trumpers are still at it, worse than ever. I have to say it: I fear for our democracy.

 

But you know all that, and I don’t need to say much about it except:




In my little world this year, I’ve had some ups and downs; mostly ups I’m happy to say! 

 

I’m still keeping up my daily meditation practice via the Ten Percent Happier app. It’s a great resource for guided meditations, courses in mindfulness, teacher talks, even some challenges (e.g. the Ted Lasso kindness challenge and, coming up, the getting unstuck challenge). I love starting my day this way with some quiet, contemplative time, one or two guided or unguided meditations, then into my Zoomed writing group, the Creative Coven. I feel pretty grounded, especially if I don’t listen to the news first thing. That can ruin my day.

 

Mondays I meet with the Portland writing group (Friends with Pens) that came out of Natalie Goldberg’s intensive in March. We also meet on Zoom most weeks (what would we have done without Zoom these last couple of years?? Wish I’d had the foresight to buy stock in it!) but we were able to meet in person a few times during the summer at Tryon Creek State Park. It was lovely to meet face to face, finally, and write together in the forest. 


And I was able to attend a fabulous weekend writers’ workshop near Port Orchard, Washington IN PERSON with strict Covid protocols in place. Great teachers, meeting up with old and new friends. Check it out for next year: NW Writers’ Weekend. You can read one of my pieces from Marie Eaton’s class on the post just before this one (which is actually below this one).


Terri rowing Silkie


My dream of having a rowboat came true in August. My dear friend Chelsea, who died 4 ½ years ago from metastatic breast cancer, had a lovely little skiff named Silkie. Last year I talked to her husband Thomas about either buying or fostering Silkie; he wasn’t ready to sell her, so we came to an agreement that I would find moorage, maintain her, and row whenever I wanted. I worked with my trainer Shawn (who is also a rowing coach!) on strategies to safely get in and out of the boat by myself from the dock. I was making progress and absolutely loved rowing! After a half dozen trips on the Multnomah Channel, the rains came and didn’t stop for weeks. Then came the issue of having to keep her covered so she wouldn’t sink. It became apparent to me that my vision of being independent with the boat, not needing anyone to help me in and out or accompany me on a row, was not going to manifest. In addition to my difficulty getting in and out of her safely, I needed to be able to cover and uncover her from the dock, and it was just not doable. After one recent fall out of my wheelchair while reaching for something (not at the river) and another fall transferring to my chair from the bed, it was evident that it was going to be too risky. I had to tell Thomas that I just could not keep fostering Silkie. I feel very sad and disappointed — but at least I gave it a good try! I owe a million thanks to Thomas for entrusting Silkie to me, to Shawn, who went above and beyond, Gwenlyn for helping move Silkie to the marina, and Fred’s Marina, for keeping Silkie bailed out the last few months. I will miss rowing.


Sauvie Island Bridge under a rainbow.

 

One thing I’m looking forward to in 2022 is taking cooking lessons from Cassie Larson, a whole food plant-based nutritionist who specializes in teaching people to cook whole foods.  (Find her business, Cassie’s Plant-Based Kitchen, on FaceBook or Instagram.) I’m excited to learn how to cook nutritious food for Laurie and to make some significant changes in how I eat. I don’t know if I’m up for full-on vegan (my coffee without ½ and ½???  No cheese???) but small steps.


Laurie and I were able to take a couple of trips last summer - one north to Lummi Island (near Bellingham) and one south to North Bend to visit Charlotte and CJ. The Lummi trip was challenging for me re: accessibility. We borrowed a ramp for the entrance and thought it would work for me, but it didn’t. I managed to get in the house but it was so difficult that I didn’t leave the house for the four days we were there. Yet another lesson in renting a place without having eyes on it. Fortunately, it was a lovely house and I had lots of books to read. My sister Nancy, who lives in Bellingham, came over for what she called Day Camp - the intention was for her to stay with us for the four days, but it was just as Delta was ramping up, so she was more comfortable visiting during the days and going back home. 


Our visit to North Bend - with overnights in Eugene going and returning - was so much fun. It was our first visit to their place on the coast. So many wonderful trails and beach views nearby, and as usual, Charlotte has done a remarkable job designing and creating gardens. She and CJ even created a ramp for me to access the house! 


In my travels around the neighborhood on my scooter, I often encounter sidewalks that are challenging or impossible to traverse, usually because tree roots have lifted chunks of the concrete. One in particular on a route I take daily was making me crazy. I’d reported it to the city sidewalk agency multiple times, but nothing was done. I decided to enlist my friend Tara to do a little guerrilla sidewalk chalk art; she delivered beyond my wildest expectations!  




It still isn’t fixed.


I have a few more updates, but this is getting long and I’m getting tired! I’ll try another post before 2022! That’s what I get for waiting months between posts.



No comments: